Thursday, September 10, 2009

Comparative usability study of ICT tools for collaborative language learning

Hi,
just to let you know that I attended a great presentation by Andras Ketyi this afternoon, about a study he conducted among students at the Budapest Business School, who study German as a second language. The presentation focused on how using ICT tools in everyday teaching practice, with a view to increase efficiency and motivation. The following tools were used as part of the study: Moodle and CooSpace (Virtual Learning Environments), an interactive whiteboard and electronic voting system. These replaced the coursebook and study received the info in electronic format only.
I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has been involved in (or knows about) studies regarding the use of collaborative learning tools and student motivation.
Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I also attended this presentation and was impressed by his professional looking slides with a lot of data. However, I am a bit more critical about the conclusions: Andras compared 2 groups, one using traditinonal media, the other used various ICT tools. He then attributed the different results from the two groups to the different tools used - only! I think to draw any conclusions in the use of ICT from such a setting - and ignore the 100s of other factors that influence learning is just a bit too quick to put it mildly...

    ReplyDelete

Virtual Strand Live Blog